Post-O has now concluded after 8 weeks – many thanks to all who participated. I hope it provided some exercise inspiration during the initial lockdown.
A lockdown-friendly exercise idea
Week 1 (up to 28 Apr): Visit as many postboxes as you can in 45 mins
Week 2: (up to 5 May): Improve on week 1 – time or number of boxes.
Week 3: (up to 12 May): Run without repeating any post-box legs from the last run.
Week 4: (up to 19 May): Alternate between a central box and other boxes.
Week 5: (up to 26 May): As many postboxes, as large an area circumscribed.
Week 6: (up to 2 June): Best GPS trace, no postboxes.
Week 7: (up to 9 June): As per week 1, but without using a map.
Week 8: (up to 16 June): More GPS art.
|Participant||Wk 1 Time||Wk 1 PBs||Wk 2 Time||Wk 2 PBs||Wk 3 Time||Wk 3 PBs||Wk 4 Time||Wk 4 PBs||Wk 5 Time||Wk 5 PBs||Wk7 Time||Wk 7 PBs|
|Andrea Hampanijad||>45 mins||7||70 mins||6||51:48||7|
|Emma Crump||34:41||9||38:25||10||35:28||10||37:46||10||36:17||7 (142ha)||36:57||10|
|Karen Cleveland Marwick||36 mins||9||30:56||9||40:02||10||41:01||10 (92ha)||45:15||11|
|Kevin Parkes||42:40||14||46:09||12||47:14||14||43:09||8||44:14||12 (146ha)||44:28||14|
|Helen & Peter Errington||44:55||15||46:08||11||44:58||15|
|Simon Errington||59:07||??||70 mins||24||59:26|
|James Errington||53:54||??||62 mins||24|
|David Dixon||41:38||15||43:34||20||44:01||13||44:49||17||40:36||15 (313ha)||44:40||21|
|Mike Bennett||45:12||16||42:52||16||45:17||13||43:00||13||42:30||9 (268ha)||43:49||19|
|Adam Leaf||45:46||18||44:59||14||44:18||15||51:00||13 (247ha)||41:12||18|
|Rory Percival||<45 mins||14|
|David Heale||38:21||12||40:20||11||43:04||13||37:15||12 (175ha)||41:40||15|
|Alan Rosen||48:46||16||52:14||15 (324ha)|
|Dave & Lucy Allard||30:30||7||37:56||9||38:31||7||48:56||17|
|Neil Gostick||38:35||9||43:48||9||45:09||9||45:23||13 (200ha)|
|Hannah Nesbit||44:29||16||46:10||13||40:05||13 (260ha)||41:27||14|
|Nicola Trotman||36:44||11||40:10||12||48:07||10||41:27||5||40:10||11 (155ha)||42:07||13|
1. Use OpenOrienteeringMap (https://oomap.co.uk/gb/#/new/streeto/11/-0.2666/51.7402/). Zoom in to your place of residence, and click to generate a map. Use the Add Postboxes button. Suggest using default 1:10,000 scale; move centre around or flip between landscape/portrait as sensible, and add your start/finish point. If you want a walk-through please see this short video:
2. Print out a copy of the map (“Save & get PDF map” button at top-right). Plan a route if you wish!
3. On or before the following Tuesday (any time before 7:00pm) and starting from the edge of your property, run/walk past as many postboxes as possible and get back home in 45 mins. *This is your once-daily exercise*. Take care around road-users and pedestrians; maintain social distancing and prioritise safety over speed.
4. Send on your time and number of postboxes to me for collation (but it’s not a competition…)
5. Optional but recommended – upload your route and time/number of postboxes to Strava, and join the HH Strava group
If there are a few of you running in the same area we may also be able to set up a RouteGadget page to compare routes.
6. Join the post-run social – Tuesdays, 8pm, whether or not you’ve run. [details sent to club members by email]
7. Each week while we are unable to offer other events, I’ll come up with a variation of the activity, based on the same map.