Haberdashers School – Saturday Series & Club Sprint Championships
Welcome to one of our Saturday series events. Beginners are very welcome and there are courses for all standards.
This event also incorporates the Sprint Championships for HH club members. As a result the usual light green course has been replaced with the Sprint course, and the usual short blue course uses the same Sprint course with an extension at the end.
Note that this event is on 9 July. It was previously advertised as 2 July but the school was not available then.
July 5 update: Planners Notes
Club Sprint Championships
- The sprint course will be 3.3km in length with 19 controls and there is an optional extension to 5.9km with a further 11 controls. If you run the extension, then the first 20 controls will count towards the sprint championship, i.e. your time to control 20 will be used. You will still receive splits for the full course.
- You will receive the same map for Sprint Only and Sprint + Extension, which will be double sided. Side 1 will show controls 1-19 and the finish.
After control 19:
– if you choose to do only the Sprint, proceed to the finish and punch it – do not turn over the map
– if you choose to do the extension, turn over the map and proceed to complete the rest of the course
It’s OK to choose your option up until you reach control 19!
- The white, yellow and orange courses are normal Saturday Series courses, although juniors especially are advised to familiarise themselves with the sprint map symbols if not used to them.
- Please respect the Out of Bounds areas marked by purple cross-hatching or olive green shading and don’t cross features that are not to be crossed (thick lines for walls, fences, hedges etc.). Buildings must not be entered. All water is not to be crossed other than at mapped crossing points; you should not cross water using stepping stones as they are slippery and dangerous. You risk your own disqualification and the club’s future use of the area.
- The area consists of 2 adjacent schools with school buildings, playing fields, tennis courts, car / coach parks and a path / road network. It is a mix of paved areas, grassy parkland and pockets of woodland. Shorts and running vests may be worn, but you may wish more protection if want the option of bashing through the undergrowth in the woodland. Trail or running shoes are recommended; metal studded (dobbed) shoes must not be worn. Please stay within the school grounds and do not use the external public road which is marked out of bounds. There is minimal climb.
- There are two significant construction sites on the map, both have been marked out of bounds. We do not expect work to be taking place but be prepared just in case.
|TERRAIN||Runnable parkland with wooded areas and buildings.|
|PARKING||Haberdashers’ Aske’s Boys’ School coach park, Aldenham Road, WD6 3AF.|
|PUBLIC TRANSPORT||Nearest station is Elstree & Borehamwood, 3.7km away.|
|COURSES||Courses for everybody from beginners of any age to experienced orienteers. Provisional course lengths given below. Particularly on the longer courses, you will run significantly farther than the distances below.
|BEGINNERS||First timers are very welcome. Look for our greeters in hi-vis jackets who will give you socially-distanced help.
If you’ve not orienteered before, we suggest most people start with Yellow. Young juniors, say primary school age, and family groups are better on White. People confident with a map and compass may start on Orange or even the Sprint – this is a bit more manageable than our normal Light Green course because so much is around buildings and across open ground.
|ENTRY & FEES||Entry only via SI Entries. You must enter on line. Online entry will remain open until 11:15 on the day, while maps and start slots are available.
BOF members: Adults £4, Juniors £2, HH juniors free.
Non-members: Adults £6, Juniors £3.
Dibber hire £1. Charge for lost dibbers £30.
|STARTS||When you enter, you can choose a 15 minute start block between 10:00 and 11:30.
The event centre is about 650 m from the start and 750m from the finish.
Courses close 12:45
|TIMING||SportIdent punching will be used. SIAC will be enabled but the Start and Finish controls must be punched.|
|CONTROL DESCRIPTIONS||Control descriptions will be on the map, not separately.|
|MAP||1:4000 with 5m contours.
Note that the ISSOM dark green colour is used for uncrossable hedges, and there are several purple out of bounds areas, one of which – the formal lawn – is not taped on the ground. Do not cross it.
For map of a previous event see here.
|DOGS||Not allowed as these are school premises|
|SAFETY||Orienteering is an adventure sport. You take part at your own risk and are responsible for your own safety. A full risk assessment will have been carried out.
You should abide by the British orienteering Covid-19 Code of Conduct. In particular:
|RESULTS||Interim results will be published direct to the club website every few minutes during the event. There will be no printed results (apart from your own splits) or WiFi available.
Full results will be published to the same location and to Routegadget; we aim to do so on the day of the event.
The small print
This event is registered with British Orienteering, number 80845
Orienteering is a great sport for youngsters. If you bring children, please help us to keep to our safeguarding policy and British Orienteering’s photography policy.
If you have to cancel for a COVID-related reason, write to email@example.com and we will give a full refund. If we have to cancel the event we will offer a choice of a full refund or a voucher for use at a future HH event. That choice will be sent to the email address used for the original entry. If you do not reply by the deadline, the default is a voucher.