This is the event that has now been postponed twice in various lockdowns. 3rd time lucky!
We have had to amend some of the courses due to construction works. Please keep out of areas marked as out of bounds.
This event will be very limited, in line with British Orienteering’s guidance. In particular:
- Numbers are limited to 240. We have extended the start window because our previous event filled up.
- You must pre-enter and pay in advance. The event is for members of HH and other clubs only.
- We are now offering hire dibbers on an event-by-event basis for £1 each. Those who have a long-term hire dibber, in recognition of the lack of events, we have extended the hire period to our December 2021 event.
- You should not come if you have symptoms of COVID-19, are living in a household with someone who has a possible or confirmed COVID-19 infection, have been asked to isolate by NHS Test and Trace, or are serving a quarantine period after travel. You’ll get a full refund.
- You should only come if you believe travelling to this event is within the letter and the spirit of the Government rules about travel in force at the time. Travel to orienteering events is allowed (but not overnight stays!)
|TERRAIN||Open parkland with small areas of woodland. Large uncrossable water features.|
|PARKING||Stanborough Park South Car Park, Stanborough Road, Welwyn Garden City. Nearest postcode AL6 8XF. OS Grid Ref. TL227110.Vehicle access is only available travelling South West on Stanborough Road. From Hatfield and A1(M), continue 700m NE on A6129 to the Gosling Sports Centre roundabout and loop back to the car park entrance. Height Restriction 2.1m.
Car park charge now £6 for 3 hours (£1.50 all day with a ResidentPass). The car park now operates with a new automatic number plate recognition system.
The event start is 200m E across the river from the N end of the car park, past the cafe. If you walk, cycle or use the limited on-street parking nearby, enter the S side of the park by the cafe and head E.
|PUBLIC TRANSPORT||Stanborough Park is 1.5 miles from Welwyn Garden City train station, following Parkway and Stanborough Road.|
|COURSES||Courses for everybody from beginners of any age to experienced orienteers.
|STARTS||Entry only via SI entries. No entry on the day. If you have a voucher from a previous HH event, don’t forget to claim it!
You can choose a 15 minute start block between 09:30 and 11:30. Courses close 12:45
Follow red tapes and signs from the car park to get to the Start and Download area.
|FEES||BOF members: Adults £4, Juniors £2, HH juniors free.
Dibber hire £1. Charge for lost dibbers £30.
|PUNCHING||Sportident punching will be used. SIAC will be enabled but the Start and Finish controls will not be contactless and must be punched.|
|CONTROL DESCRIPTIONS||Control descriptions will be on the map|
|MAP||1:7500 pre-marked maps for all courses on waterproof paper. For a previous event on the area see RouteGadget|
|FACILITIES||tbd. The cafe and toilets are not currently open.|
|DOGS||Keep on lead and clear up behind you.|
|SAFETY||Orienteering is an adventure sport. You take part at your own risk and are responsible for your own safety. A full risk assessment will have been carried out.
You should abide by the British orienteering Covid-19 Code of Conduct. In particular:
Only cross Stanborough Road at the underpass marked on the map. Take care as there is no handrail between the path and the river, and headroom is under 6′ at one end.
Keep out of Out of Bounds areas. Some contain works with potentially dangerous machinery.
Take care near lakes, the water is deep.
|RESULTS||Interim results will be published direct to the club website every few minutes during the event. There will be no printed results (apart from your own splits) or WiFi available, so there is no need to hang around.
Full results will be published to the same location and to Routegadget; we aim to do so on the day of the event.
The small print
This event is registered with British Orienteering, number 78683.
If you have to cancel for a COVID-related reason, write to email@example.com and we will give a full refund. If the event is cancelled we will offer a choice of a full refund or a voucher for use at a future HH event. That choice will be sent to the email address used for the original entry. If you do not reply by the deadline, the default is a voucher.