Entries are now open – see below.
This event will be very limited, in line with British Orienteering’s guidance. In particular:
- Numbers are limited to 240. We have extended the start window because our previous event filled up.
- You must pre-enter and pay in advance. The event is for members of HH and other clubs only.
- We are now offering hire dibbers on an event-by-event basis for £1 each. Those who have a long-term hire dibber, in recognition of the lack of events, we have extended the hire period to our December 2021 event.
- You should not come if you have symptoms of COVID-19, are living in a household with someone who has a possible or confirmed COVID-19 infection, have been asked to isolate by NHS Test and Trace, or are serving a quarantine period after travel. You’ll get a full refund.
- You should only come if you believe travelling to this event is within the letter and the spirit of the Government rules about travel in force at the time. Travel to orienteering events is allowed (but not overnight stays!)
|TERRAIN||A mixture of generally very runnable open heathland and woodland.|
|PARKING||West End Farm, Ferrers Lane. Please obey instructions of parking marshals, especially if it has been wet, because space will be limited.|
|PUBLIC TRANSPORT||3.5km from Harpenden station, with frequent trains from London.
The nearest bus stop is Wicked Lady, 1.6km away, with infrequent buses from Harpenden and St Albans [Google Maps reckons it’s as quick to walk from Harpenden station as to take the bus].
|STARTS||Entry only via SI entries. No entry on the day. If you have a voucher from a previous HH event, don’t forget to claim it!
You can choose a 15 minute start block between 09:30 and 11:30. Courses close 12:45
Follow red tapes and signs from the car park to get to the Start and Download area.
|FEES||BOF members: Adults £4, Juniors £2, HH juniors free.
Dibber hire £1. Charge for lost dibbers £30.
|PUNCHING||Sportident punching will be used. SIAC will be enabled but the Start and Finish controls will not be contactless and must be punched.|
|MAP||1:7500 pre-marked maps for all courses on waterproof paper. For a previous event on the area see RouteGadget|
|DOGS||Keep on lead and clear up behind you.|
|SAFETY||Orienteering is an adventure sport. You take part at your own risk and are responsible for your own safety. A full risk assessment will have been carried out.
There will be marshalled road crossings to the start and from the Finish. The Yellow course does not have a road crossing. Orange will have manned crossings of Ferrers Lane and Downs Green Lane. Light Green will have a manned crossing of the Ferrers Lane but the crossing of the quiet Downs Green Lane will be unmanned. On Short Blue the crossings of Ferrers Lane and Downs Green Lane are unmanned.
You should abide by the British orienteering Covid-19 Code of Conduct. In particular:
|RESULTS||Interim results will be published direct to the club website every few minutes during the event, subject to mobile phone signal. There will be no printed results (apart from your own splits) or WiFi available, so there is no need to hang around.
Full results will be published to the same location and to Routegadget; we aim to do so on the day of the event.
The small print
This event is registered with British Orienteering, number 79178.
If you enjoyed this event, why not join the club and British Orienteering. There are plenty of good reasons for joining.
British Orienteering are planning to issue a general refund policy. When they do, we will follow it. In the meantime, if you have to cancel for a COVID-related reason, write to email@example.com and we will give a full refund. If the event is cancelled we will offer a choice of a full refund or a voucher for use at a future HH event. That choice will be sent to the email address used for the original entry. If you do not reply by the deadline, the default is a voucher.