Update 26 Nov: We are now expecting to go ahead with this event on the revised date of 19th December. We plan to open entries on 5th December.
This event will be very limited, in line with British Orienteering’s guidance. In particular:
- Numbers are limited to 180.
- You must pre-enter and pay in advance.
- There will be no on-the-day hire dibbers available just for this event. However, to reduce cross-contamination, HH members can have a dibber for a season (until our event next July) for only £10 + £10 deposit. You can use the dibber at our events or any others you go to. Just select hire dibber when you enter (closing date for this option is 28 November at the latest) . Or you can just buy your own.
- You should not come if you have symptoms of COVID-19, are living in a household with someone who has a possible or confirmed COVID-19 infection, or have been asked to isolate by NHS Test and Trace. You’ll get a full refund.
- At the time of writing, St Albans is in Tier 2. If your area moves up to Tier 3 after you have entered, you’ll get a full refund.
|TERRAIN||Open parkland with some woodland and contour detail. Much of the area is the ancient monument covering the Roman town of Verulamium, although all you can see is a few fragments of walls that were left after the townsfolk had raided the site for building materials.|
|PARKING||Westminster Lodge Pay & Display – free for 2 hours, then chargeable. The number of spaces has been very limited in lockdown, so if full, use street parking opposite the entrance to the Park, or shop in Sainsbury’s or one of the other stores there.
Information and download are based between the far (W) car park and the running track. Please note: Westminster Lodge is very well signed, so there won’t be any O signage on the main roads.
Look out for the vertical yellow and blue HH banner towards the running track.
|PUBLIC TRANSPORT||St Albans City rail station is just over a mile away. St Albans Abbey station is adjacent to the park entrance.|
|STARTS||Entry will be via SI entries and will open on 5 Dec. If you had a voucher for the postponed Stanborough event, don’t forget to claim it!
You can choose a 15 minute start block between 10:00 and 11:30. Courses close 12:45.
The HH banner and Download are visible from the W end of the car park. The 2 starts are each 100m from there across an open field. Yellow and Light Green courses use a start on a path, Orange and Short Blue a little distance away.
|FEES||BOF members: Adults £4, Juniors £2, HH juniors free (but note courses available and availability of hire dibbers).|
|PUNCHING||Sportident punching will be used. SIAC will be enabled but the Start and Finish controls will not be contactless and must be punched.
Download will be close to the finish, situated between the car park and athletics track.
There will be no hire dibbers available on the day. HH members can have a dibber for a season (until our event next July) for only £10 + £10 deposit. You can use the dibber at our events or any others you go to. Just select hire dibber when you enter. Please do so before 12 Dec so that we can prepare enough dibbers.
|MAP||1:7500 pre-marked maps for all courses on waterproof paper. For a previous event on the area see Routegadget|
|FACILITIES||Public Toilets at the running track|
|DOGS||Please keep dogs under control and clear up behind you|
|SAFETY||Orienteering is an adventure sport. You take part at your own risk and are responsible for your own safety. A full risk assessment will have been carried out.
You should abide by the British orienteering Covid-19 Code of Conduct. In particular:
Take care near the lake, the water is deep.
|RESULTS||Interim results will be published direct to the club website every few minutes during the event. There will be no printed results (apart from your own splits) or WiFi available, so there is no need to hang around.
Full results will be published to the same location and to Routegadget; we aim to do so on the day of the event.
The small print
This event is registered with British Orienteering, number 77787.